Saturday, October 18, 2008

Ciao Bella, Verona

I have been in Verona, Italy for the past ten days. I have fallen in love with this city, and this is now my third stay here. Each visit gets progressively longer. I now am able to speak some Italian, and have been managing my sabbatical research, doing just that…. speaking Italian.



The Adige river winds its way through Verona, and there are about ten bridges that cross the fiume (river). Each bridge is a little different in style. Around 250,000 people live in Verona, and it is a city that offers everything, but yet, is manageable on foot.

I initially came to Verona, to see the world-famous opera, which takes place in a historic arena, the second largest Roman arena, next to the Coliseum in Rome. Imagine sitting on stone steps, listening to Puccini, in that kind of ambience. They use not acoustics for the singers, and you can hear them just fine.




There are many museums, and of course, many beautiful cathedrals and churches in the city. Of course, Verona is famous for the story of Romeo and Juliet, and it is considered the city of Love.




I never run out of things to do. I manage my work day by balancing culture and work. If I work during the day, I can go to a concert at night. If I explore during the day, I work at night.

The pictures here will give you a sense of what one can see in Verona.

 A view of the Roman theatre, yet another historic site in Verona.

Juliet’s balcony, and the view from her home.

 A busker in the streets… can you guess who he is portraying?

 The Lamberti Tower at night. It is 362 steps, and sister Chris and I walked them all.

 A night view from Lamberti tower. You are looking at Piazza Erbe.

 A wonderful food shop, that sells amazing Italian condiments, sausages, cheeses, wine, and pretty much anything that could feel you well.












More to come, as my stay continues.

No comments: