Friday, October 3, 2008

Who am I?

Hello all!

My name is Susan Lazear. I live and teach in a creative world and I look forward to sharing with you through this blog. For those who do not know me, let me fill you in on my various “identities”.

I am a teacher…. As Professor of Fashion at Mesa College, I teach design and merchandising students. I love being involved with the students, and I do my best to inspire them, as they inspire me. I teach various courses, such as Textiles, Fashion History, Ethnic Costume, Patternmaking (by computer), Computer Fashion Design with Photoshop and Illustrator, Intro to Fashion, and more.

I am a computer “geekette”. I purchased my first computer around 1985, and I haven’t looked back.

I am Cochenille Design Studio, the owner and software designer of various programs that serve textile artists. Our two main programs are Garment Designer (for garment design for knitters and sewers) and Stitch Painter (a grid-based design program for anyhow who uses the computer to design. My right hand is Sonia Barton, who oversees the day-to-day of the business, helps with product development and is simply the best person one can have as an employee and friend. Check out my website at www.cochenille.com.

I am a writer. I write for various magazines including Knitters and Threads. It is my goal to expand into creative writing. I have just finished my second book, which is in the final editing stages. This one is called Adobe Photoshop for Fashion Design. The first was Adobe Illustrator for Fashion Design (and it came out last January). Both are published by Pearson, Prentice-Hall, and contain step-by-step instructions on how to use Adobe’s two great programs for fashion design on the computer.

I am a designer. I design and create sewn and knit garments. Some I sell, but mostly, I love the process of coming up with an idea and making it into a reality.

I am a photographer… or at least I want to be, at a semi-serious level. I enjoy taking photos, and you will see samples of my work, throughout this blog, as it grows. I love to take pictures of fashions in store windows, and I will post fun things that I see in my travels.

On a personal note...
I am a mother, of two sons, both who are grown and out of the home. I miss them.

So this is a start.

My goal for this blog?
To share the creative process as I use it, and to hopefully inspire and encourage others to stretch themselves. My life is full of adventure and travel, because I set goals to make it be that way. I hope that I can share with you the things I see and learn, as they relate to fashion, creativity, and design.

Ciao for now

Susan

No comments: