Monday, November 3, 2008

Project (cont'd) Cut and Sew


A Quick Pattern Check
Although it is not necessary, as I know my measurements are accurate, and I have sewn plenty of garments with my sloper, I generally take a moment to hold the pattern up to me and see what I think. This is not always for fit purposes, but to serves as a cross-check to the styling that I did. Occasionally I get a surprise in my estimates of design ease, etc. So, I hold the pattern up to me, and confirm that all is good.

Cut and Sew
As I prep to cut out, my pattern, it would seem that I need to make a decision about how full to make the little ruffle at the bottom of the jacket (if indeed I choose to use self-fabric, as opposed to knit the piece). I do not want to make the final decision yet, but I will cut out the piece anyhow. I planned for a gather ratio of 1.5:1, but I am thinking that will be too full. Still, I will cut out this amount, and then, decide later if I want less. I will make this decision by actually gathering some of the ruffle and basting it onto the garment. Note: If I was tight on fabric, I would make the decision prior to cutting out the fabric.

Cutting
I lay out and cut three pattern pieces. Because my fur-like fabric has a nap, I am careful to cut all pieces in one direction.
Sewing
1. My first step in sewing is to overlock the outer edges of all pieces, as the fur tends to shed. Fortunately, I could do this at Ursula’s business, as I am on the road, and don’t have access to my sewing machine.
2. Next, I sew the shoulder and side seams.

Quick Try-on
Before I go any further, I slide the garment on, to again, cross-check that I like how it looks. All is fine.



Next... getting ready to knit...

No comments: