Sunday, January 17, 2010

On Becoming a Fannullone


Bruno, my Italian sweetheart, aged 74, taught me a new word last summer.

It is Fannullone. I had to look this one up in the dictionary the first time he told me about it. He was using it to describe himself, that day.

We (Bruno, Santina and I) were sitting at a café having our morning coffee. On this particular day, Bruno intended to take it easy, as he had been working hard on renovating the apartment I now rent. He planned to relax (although I don’t really think he knows how … and don’t I know that story well). So, when I found fannullone in my Italian/English dictionary, I nearly rolled off my chair from laughter. It means, “a lazy-good-for-nothing”. I instantly decided this should be something we all want to be, every now and then….. As it is for Bruno, some days he works, and some days he does not.

Life is too short to work everyday, so I am trying very hard to learn the art of being a fannullone. If I need to lighten my mood, and/or bring a smile to my face, all I have to do is think about the word, ….. and Bruno.

It works every time.

No comments: