Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Opera Decisions... which one?

On Sunday evening, I went to an Opera preview evening at the Roman Arena. The initial building of this arena was started in 49 AD. It boggles my mind to think that I am sitting on stone steps that old.

The event was a Preview of the Opera Season about to commence here later in the month. The event was televised, so it was very interesting for me to watch how the Italians organize and film a live performance, with 'us' as the audience.

We got to see a snippet of each of the operas of this, the 88th year of Verona Opera. I post these here, as tidbits to help my Retreat group decide which opera they would like to see while here.
More info at the official Opera site

This is what the Roman Arena looks like, as it fills with people... and when there is a Full House with the lights down. Click on the image to enlarge it.

Here is sultry Carmen..

Aida is the most spectacular of the four, with over 150 people on stage at once, including horses, etc. Of course, it is the longest of the operas, and will last until nearly 1 a.m. The last of these four images is showing the fireworks along the top of the arena, which was the final scene of the evening.. at midnight.




Madame Butterfly is lovely, and sad. Viva Puccini!

Here I am listening to Nessun Dorma, from Turandot. This is one of the most beautiful of opera arias.

I believe this shot was from Il Trovatore. I have not seen this opera in past, so I am a little sketchy.


OK my group of ladies...which one??

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Aida. From Cintia.

Susan Lazear said...

Got it! So, I think I will have to let you all take a 'nap' on that day, so you can stay awake. It is a great production.

Susan